Close this search box.

Overseas Qualifications

Information for CFP® professionals who are certified in another country and wish to practise as a CFP professional in Australia.

Cross Border

The FAAA is a member of the Financial Planning Standards Board and is one of 27 countries supporting the CFP designation world wide.

To find out further information about transferring your CFP designation to other countries click the link below.

Bringing your CFP designation to Australia

We are happy to support you in becoming a CFP® professional in Australia.

In Australia we offer two forms of the CFP – a practising CFP credential for those who are registered on the FAR, and a non-practising CFP for those who are working in a planning related role but are not on the FAR.

To achieve the CFP designation, we will need to see the following:

  • Evidence of your current membership in an institutional member of the FPSB or current membership at the time of your arrival in Australia
  • A letter of good standing from your current membership organisation or a letter confirming your good standing at the time of your arrival in Australia
  • Evidence of the award of the CFP designation in your country of origin
  • Evidence of Australian Permanent Residency status or right to work in Australia on a long-term basis
  • Authorised Representative Status (in Australia) for practising status – only applies to you if you are on the ASIC Financial Adviser Register.

To become registered on the FAR as a foreign adviser

To work as a financial planner and register on the FAR in Australia you will need to meet our governments legislative requirements.  There are two pathways into becoming an advisor – the first (for existing advisers) closed at the end of 2021.  This means you now have to enter the Australian market as a new entrant.  As a new entrant, you will need to meet the education standards set by the Australian government, pass the Professionalism and Ethics exam and you will also need to complete a professional year.  This must be overseen by a licensed company.

Please see the Treasury website for more information: Who am I? | Financial Adviser Standards ( and click on the tab for new entrants.  Once you have achieved these milestones you will be able to register as an adviser on the Financial Advisers Register (FAR).

If you need any further information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at

CFP® Certification Program

The standard of excellence.

Forms and resources

Useful forms for those enrolling into the CFP® Certification Program.

The united voice for financial advice professionals